In this episode of Death and Numbers, part of a series on international women’s history, Amy Vidor and Caroline Barta talk about author Irène Némirovsky.
- To see some of Némirovsky’s works, go to http://www.mjhnyc.org/irene/
- Read Suite française by Irène Némirovsky and Le Mirador by Elisabeth Gille
- The Otto List, featuring the names of authors banned between 1940 and 1942 can be found here. Otto Abetz was the German ambassador to France during the Nazi Occupation. See Otto Abetz and His Paris Acolytes by Martin Mauthner for more information.
- Jean-Paul Sartre’s “Anti-Semite and the Jew” can be found here.
- To learn more, read Susan Rubin Suleiman’s The Némirovsky Question: The Life, Death, and Legacy of a Jewish Writer in Twentieth-Century France